Buying and Building a new home can be one of the most exciting experiences in your lifetime. We have all heard a few horror stories here and there, but all in all there is nothing more heart warming than moving into a brand new home that you have been dreaming of your entire life. Well that’s unless you have the burden of still selling your old home.
There is a lot to know about selling a home, and trying to sell your home during a “buyer’s market” can be a difficult mission, but with the help of our Seller’s Edge program, you will have the knowledge to attract buyers and sell your home for the value it is truly worth.
The Not So-Secret Agent
Real Estate Agents are the best un-kept secret to selling your home. Also called Realtors and Brokers these individuals are one of the most popular resources used to sell a home. They are in the business of selling houses, and only get paid when they do, so rest assured if you have a home for sale, they want to sell it.
All Agents Are Not Created Equally
Research agents in your area, and find out how many homes they have listed. Not only will this tell you how much time they have to showcase your home, but it will also tell you how many homes you are competing with in the local market. It is suggested that you interview at least TWO Realtors for the job. You might be in a hurry to sell your home, but entering a contract with the first realtor you see in the Sunday Clipper might set you back months if he or she is a poor performer. Two baseline qualifications you should look for when hiring an Realtor include: A full-time agent and an agent that is an expert in your geographic area. If you are trying to sell your townhome in Moon Township, you wouldn’t want an agent that specializes in rural real estate that works out of Beaver County would you?
Obtain a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA)
Your realtor should provide this to you free of charge. It should include homes currently on the market and homes that have sold in your area. Price your home at or below what the CMA suggests. The lower you go, the faster your home will sell.
Develop a MARKETING PLAN with Your Realtor
Listing your home on the MLS and putting a sign in the yard are no longer enough!
- – Create a direct mail piece that will be sent out consistently
- – List your home on the MLS and Realtor.com with a minimum of six photographs – the more the better!
- – Host two open houses per month (these should be advertised in the MLS, local newspapers, and with directional signs). Make sure you ask for feedback on all showings and make adjustments accordingly.
- – Ask for your home to be included on the local Realtor tour
- – Don’t forget to include your home in additional FREE online sites such as zillow.com, craigslist.com, and trulia.com. These sites are gaining in popularity every day, and the calls will still go straight to your Realtor.
Finding an agent is only one step when preparing your home for the market. Continue to check out our blog for more tips about helping you sell your home, or contact Sara our New Home Specialist, and ask about our Seller’s Edge Program!